Sustainability Promotion System
Operational Framework for Sustainability
Mitsubishi Estate takes an active, group-wide approach to sustainability. Chaired by the President & Chief Executive Officer of Mitsubishi Estate with the Director responsible for Sustainability (the Director in charge of the Sustainability Management and Promotion Department at Mitsubishi Estate) as the deputy chair, the Group's Sustainability Committee comprises executives in charge of respective functional and business groups and the executive in charge of the Corporate Group, as well as managers of the major Group companies, and it ensures group-wide implementation of sustainability. The Sustainability Subcommittee serves as forum for detailed discussion to prepare for Sustainability Committee meetings.
The Sustainability Committee typically meets twice a year to deliberate and report on important matters related to sustainability. Prior to the meetings of the Sustainability Committee, the Sustainability Subcommittee conducts preliminary discussions and reporting while compiling information on efforts to promote sustainability made by business groups.
The deliberations of the Sustainability Committee are submitted to the Executive Committee whenever necessary in light of their importance and other factors. The deliberations of the Sustainability Committee are also reported to and supervised by the Board of Directors.
The Sustainability Committee formulates policies and plans. In implementing the policies and plans it approves, the Director responsible for Sustainability oversees the process, while the sustainability managers and staff of each department at Mitsubishi Estate and each Mitsubishi Estate Group company and the Sustainability Promotion Executive Office (Sustainability Management and Promotion Department at Mitsubishi Estate) together head the execution of specific activities and studies.
Past Meetings of the Sustainability Committee
1st meeting (July 2020)
- Partial revision of the Sustainability Committee Regulations and the Sustainability Subcommittee Regulations
- Discussion of OMY SDGs ACT5
- Roadmap toward achieving the Mitsubishi Estate Group 2030 Goals for SDGs and analysis of issues
- Discussion of recent topics, etc.
- (1) Mitsubishi Estate Group’s SDGs-related press release
- (2) Sustainability-related topics (report on recent conditions based on global situation associated with COVID-19 pandemic)
- (3) Current status of Mitsubishi Estate-sponsored promotions
2nd meeting (February 2021)
- Discussion on introducing renewable power in Otemachi-Marunouchi-Yurakucho area
- Initiative related to ensuring traceability of concrete formwork panels at Mitsubishi Estate Residence
- OMY SDGs ACT5 event report
- Discussion on promotion of internal communication measures related to sustainability
- Discussion on complying with ESG index benchmarks
- Discussion on implementation of third-party checks aimed at promotion of the Mitsubishi Estate Group 2030 Goals for SDGs
1st meeting (December 2019)
- Establishment of the long-term (2050) vision*1 and the medium-term goals (2030)*2 in relation to sustainability management
- Status of response to ESG investment and various benchmarks
- Mitsubishi Estate Group Sustainability Vision 2050 announced in January 2020
- Mitsubishi Estate Group 2030 Goals for SDGs announced in January 2020
2nd meeting (February 2020)
- Discussion of the promotion plan and system of checks aimed at "spiraling up" the action plan for Mitsubishi Estate Group 2030 Goals for SDGs, and proposal for concrete action plan in the human rights area
- Discussion of joining RE100 and endorsement of TCFD recommendations
1st meeting (July 2018)
- Setting numerical targets for KPIs and extension of boundaries (scope of disclosure), including consideration of science-based target (SBT) content (medium- to long-term greenhouse gas emission reduction targets)
- Implementing in-house SDGs working group (including review of materiality)
- Publication of Integrated Report
- Human rights due diligence procedures
- Green bond issuance
2nd meeting (March 2019)
- SDGs working group implementation report
- Participation in medium- to long-term CO2 emissions reduction targets (SBTs)
- Review of KPIs
- Change of rules and organization name
- (Name changed from CSR & Environmental Sustainability Department to Sustainability Management and Promotion Department in fiscal 2019)
1st meeting (July 2017)
- Report on FY2016 key CSR themes and KPI results
- CSR activities report, etc.
2nd meeting (February 2018)
- Initiatives for SDGs and review of key CSR themes and KPIs
- Launch of human rights due diligence study group